Grilled Leeks with Mustard-Anchovy Vinaigrette
- 2 large leeks (1Â½ inches in diameter)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 tsp. mustard
- â…“ cup plus
- Juice of one lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
- Slice the leeks lengthwise and rinse to remove any grit.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the halves on a plate, and set aside.
- Place the leeks on a hot, covered grill, cut side down. Flip once after 5 to 7 minutes (or when the cut side is browned and slightly charred on the edges, but not blackened). Cook another 5 to 7 minutes, then place cut side up on a plate and pour the dressing over. Garnish with the minced herbs
- In a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic clove, anchovy fillets, and a pinch of salt until they form a smooth paste. Add the mustard and mix well.
- Slowly add the â…“ cup olive oil, one small splash at a time, while mixing with the pestle.
- After adding all of the oil, the mixture should be very shiny and relatively thick â€” not as stiff as an aÃ¯oli, but still thick enough to adhere to the sides of the mortar. Then add the lemon juice, one teaspoon at a time, mixing with the pestle until the whole dressing is thin enough to pour and tastes balanced but still highly seasoned. Add pepper to taste.