Roasted Butternut Squash and Onion with Tahini
Author: " From Jerusalem: A Cookbook" by Yotam Ottolenghi
- 1 large butternut squash (2¼ lb, cut into ¾ by 2½" wedges
- 2 onions, cut into 1¼ " wedges
- 3½ tbsp olive oil
- 3½ tbsp light tahini paste
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3½ tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Put the squash and onion in a large mixing bowl, add 3 tbsp of the oil, 1 tsp salt and some black pepper and toss well.
- Spread on a baking sheet with the skin facing down the roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the vegetables have taken on some color and are cooked through.
- Keep an eye on the onions as they might cook faster than the squash and need to be removed earlier. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
To make the sauce
- Place the tahini in a small bowl along with the lmeon juice, water, garlic and ¼ tsp salt. Whisk until the sauce is the consistency of honey, adding more water or tahini if necessary.
Pour the remaining 1½ tsps oil into a small frying pan
- Place over medium-low heat. Add the pine nuts along with ½ tsp salt and cook for 2 mins, stirring often, until the nuts and are golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the nuts and oil to a small bowl to stop the cooking.
- To serve, spread the veggies on a large serving platter and drizzle over tahini, sprinkle on the nuts and their oil and the parsley