Black Bean and Kale Soup
Author: A Cedar Down Farm Recipe
- ½ lb to 1 lb kale, thickest part of stem removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can whole or diced tomatoes
- ¾lb black beans, soaked overnight then cooked until tender
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb sausage, spicy or not, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot until hot. Add leek, onion and garlic and fry until tender but not browning. Add sausage, if using, and fry until cooked through. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the kale and tomatoes and simmer until the kale is very tender, about 20 minutes. If using whole tomatoes, break up with a spoon. Add black beans and salt and pepper to taste and summer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon and a grate of parmesan cheese if desired!