Leek, Bacon and Pea Risotta
Author: From www.marthastewart.com
- 2 leeks, white and light-green parts only
- 12 cups (96 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into strips
- 2½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¾ cup frozen peas (optional)
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Halve leeks lengthwise; rinse thoroughly. Pat dry; thinly slice.
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over medium.
- Meanwhile, in a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium, stirring, until lightly browned but not crisp, 5 minutes.
- Add leeks; cook, stirring, until softened, 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add rice and cook, stirring, until translucent around edges, 1 minute.
- Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup broth. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until broth is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Repeat process, gradually adding broth, until rice is al dente and risotto is creamy (you may not need all the broth), about 35 minutes.
- Stir in peas (if using) after the final addition of broth.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in Parmesan.
- Cover and let stand 2 minutes.
- Season risotto with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Reserve half the risotto (about 4 cups) in refrigerator for risotto cakes.
- Serve remaining risotto with Parmesan.