Angel Hair Pasta with Raw Tomato Sauce
Published on August 29, 2015 | By Leslie |
- 3 pounds fresh, best-quality tomatoes
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound dried capellini or angel-hair spaghetti
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- To serve: grated ricotta salata or Parmigiano-Reggiano and a drizzle of your favorite olive oil
- 1. Halve the first pound of tomatoes crosswise, then rub the cut sides against the large holes of a box grater set in a large bowl, discarding the skin
- 2. Core the last two pounds of tomatoes, squeeze out seeds and juice then chop and add to the grated tomato bowl.
- 3. Add garlic, lemon juice or vinegar, salt and pepper and let marinate at room temperature until ready to use, at least 10 minutes but also up to 2 hours if you’re planning ahead.
- 4. After it has steeped for a while, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- 5. Cook pasta in salted boiling water as package time recommends. Drain then toss with fresh sauce and basil.
- 6. Serve lukewarm or at room temperature with a drizzle of olive oil and freshly grated cheese on top.