Garlic scapes are the flower stem that grows from the centre of the garlic plant. They are lovely because of their mild, fresh garlic flavour and their lovely texture. They can be used as both vegetable and seasoning. Stir fried or added to pasta, rice dishes or curries, they add flavour and crunch. Minced and added to dressings or sauces, they give a fresh garlic zing. This pesto is absolutely delicious!
Garlic Scape Pesto
Published on July 6, 2016 | By Leslie |
- ⅔ C diced garlic scapes
- ⅓ C extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ C freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano
- ¼ C raw pistachios
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2-4 Tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Dice your garlic scapes, grate your parmesan-reggiano, and squeeze your lemon
- 2. Combine garlic scapes, parmesan-regginao, pistachios and lemon juice in a food processor and process at a medium speed until they are roughly chopped
- 3. Continue to run the food processor and slowly pour your olive oil in through the opening on the lid of the food processor. Process until all of the ingredients are very finely chopped and beginning to become smooth
- 4. If the pesto seems a little thick add 2-4 Tbsp of water until the desired thickness is achieved.
- 5. Finally, stir in salt and pepper to taste. Serve with pasta, risotto, meat, on toasted bread with arugula and cheese - anything