Turnips with Miso Butter
Published on July 6, 2016 | By Leslie |
- 1 bunch spring white turnips, with their greens
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 3 tbsp miso (preferably white)
- 1 tsp black (or white) sesame seeds, toasted in a dry skillet
- 3 green onions, slivered
- sea salt
- 1. Trim the roots and greens from the turnips and peel with a paring knife. Wash roots and greens well and set greens aside. Section larger turnips into quarters.
- 2. Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over medium heat, add the mirin then the turnips, and cook, allowing them to brown lightly, for several minutes.
- 3. While the turnips are cooking, steam the greens until tender. Stir together the miso and the remaining butter.
- 4. When the turnips are tender add the miso butter to the pan and allow to bubble up and coat the turnips and just heat through.
- 5. Add the greens and toss together.
- 6. Place on a serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions and salt to taste.
- 7. Serve!