Smoked Paprika and Rutabaga Bisque
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 -8
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabaga , peeled and cubed (about 4 1/4 cups)
- 4 cups (1 quart) vegetable broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or part cream , part milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons good quality smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Once butter foams, add onion, and season generously with salt.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Add rutabaga and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until rutabaga is tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
Add half-and-half, paprika, and pepper and stir to combine.
Allow soup to cool slightly, then purée in a blender until smooth. (You will have to do this in batches.)