Wilted Spinach Salad
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1/2 small red onion , quartered and thinly sliced or 3-4 green onions cut in 2 inch pieces and sliced lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 Kalamata olives
- 1/2 lb spinach
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 4-6 ounces feta cheese
- 3-4 slices baguettte , for croutons (optional)
Cut large leaves of spinach into halves or thirds and wash thoroughly.
Crush olives and remove pit - tear meat in half.
Place spinach in large bowl and toss with onions, garlic, mint, olives and vinegar. Break up feta and crumble over the spinach.
Heat the olive oil until it is very hot but just short of smoking. Immediately pour over the salad, turning the leaves with tongs to coat all the leaves.
Taste and season with more vinegar if desired.
Serve with croutons, if desired. To make croutons: Preheat oven to 400Â°. Brush baguette with olive oil and toast in the oven until is crisp and lightly browned.