End of Summer Zucchini Soup
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups sweet onion , diced small
- 2 tablespoons garlic , roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano or marjoram
- To taste "“ salt & ground black pepper
- 4 pounds zucchini , ends trimmed and diced
- 1 + quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ,
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound zucchini squash , ends trimmed and diced medium or cut into thin strips, salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup basil , loosely packed
- ½ cup heavy cream
Warm the oil and butter in a large soup pot over a medium flame.
Stir in the onions, garlic, herb mix, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are slightly tender (5 minutes).
Add the zucchini and sauté for another minute, then pour in stock (just enough to cover the mixture by 2 inches).
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are fork tender (15 minutes).
Puree the soup and basil (in batches) using a blender.
Return to soup pot. Stir in cream
Warm the oil and butter in a skillet over medium flame.
Add zucchini and sauté until just tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle warm soup into bowls and scatter garnish over top.