- 1 lb green beans
- 5 ounces or 140 grams almonds, toasted and cooled
- 3/4 cup (about 1/3 cup grated) parmesan or aged pecorino cheese, but no need to grate if using a food processor
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- Leaves from a sprig or two of thyme
- Pinches of red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea or kosher salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Trim green beans and cook beans in boiling water until crisp tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Plunge in an ice water bath to fully cool. Drain and pat dry. (If you have no patience for the precision of ice water baths, take the green beans out a full minute early as they will continue cooking as they cool.)
In food processor, grind almonds, cheese, garlic, thyme, pepper and salt to a coarse paste. Add vinegar, and pulse again. Stir in oil and adjust seasonings to taste.
Toss cooled green beans with almond pesto. Drizzling with extra olive oil for a fresh glisten. Dig in
Serving suggestions: a mix of cherry tomatoes, grilled bread drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with a halved garlic clove or even grilled sausages.