Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 medium red beets , peeled and diced
- 1 large potato , diced
- 2 carrots , diced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh dill , minced, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt + pepper to taste
- yogurt or sour cream for garnish
In a large pot, warm 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat.
Add the diced onion and saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the broth, water, beets, potato, carrots and bay leaf and cover. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked.
Add the cabbage and the fresh dill and simmer for another minutes or so.
Turn off heat and add the vinegar. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls and finish with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, and a sprinkling of dill.