Parsnip Soup with Curry Spices
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 4 to 5 parsnips
- 4 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp ginger root , minced
- 2 medium onion , cut into
- 1/2 inch squares (or 1 onion and
- 2 leeks , if you have them)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 carrots , peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks , diced or 1 cup of diced celeriac
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 to 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup light cream
Scrub parsnips, trim tops and peel. Quarter them lengthwise and cut out most of the fibrous inner core (great to use later to make stock!). Chop the parsnip roughly into pieces.
Heat butter in a soup pot and add the ginger and onion.
Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions turn a rich golden colour, about 15 minutes.
Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute; then add the parsnip, carrots, celery, salt and stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook until the vegetables are soft.
Cool the soup briefly, then purée in a blender or with a hand blender.
Stir in the cream and taste for salt.
If you have it, garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley and serve!