Potato and Celeriac Gratin Dauphinois
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz . freshly grated Swiss Gruyere cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 1 large garlic clove , peeled and halved
- 2 lbs . firm fleshed potatoes , peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 celeriac , peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp butter
Prepare a shallow 2 quart gratin dish, by thoroughly rubbing with the garlic halves.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a large saucepan, bring the milk to boil over medium heat. Add the cream and 3/4 of the cheese, stirring to blend.
Finely chop the garlic used for rubbing the dish and add.
Season with salt, pepper and a grating of the nutmeg. Add the potatoes and celeriac and mix well with a wooden spoon.
Cook over low heat, stirring often until the potatoes and celeriac are half way done, about 10-15 minutes.
Taste for seasoning.
Transfer the vegetables and their liquid to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and butter.
Place in the center of the oven and bake until the potatoes and celeriac are cooked through and the top is crisp and golden, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve immediately