Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups rutabagas , cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 cups onions , chopped
- 1 cup carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery , chopped
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 16 ounces thick plain Greek yogurt (for a richer , milder version, use
- heavy whipped cream instead)
In a large stockpot, sauté onions, carrot and celery in the olive oil until slightly carmelized and beginning to brown on the bottom of the pot, about 20 minutes. Add bourbon to deglaze the pot, and stir until you get all the browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
Add rutabagas and chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, until rutabaga is tender when pierced with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste, and let cool slightly.
Purée in batches in a high-powered blender, then transfer to a large 4 quart bowl.
Stir in yogurt or cream, then taste again to correct for salt or pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
Recipe NotesMakes about 3 1/2 quarts