Cedar Down Farm is a small scale, ecological farm growing crops for Community Support Agriculture (CSA). We believe that our farm should fit, as much as possible, into the ecosystem in which it exists and that our farming methods must support the longevity and health of our soils and surrounding ecosystem. Our farm is certified organic – we are inspected and approved yearly by Ecocert Canada. The core of organic farming is soil and ecosystem health. Soil is a diverse and complicated ecosystem that requires attention and care to remain fertile and resilient. We work to improve the condition of our soil by farming in a way that fosters the health of the microorganisms that keep it alive. Some of the methods we use to do this are:
- Extensive cover cropping and minimized tillage.
- Crop Rotations – to interrupt pest and weed cycles, maintain soil structure, and manage soil fertility.
- Addition of Organic matter- such as composted manures, and plant material through plow down crops.
- Chemical free production- to keep our soil organisms alive and well
- Farm biodiversity.
We also work to provide a healthy habitat for insects, birds and animals by supporting many wild spaces, wetlands and forest on the farm.
We seek to provide an equitable and enjoyable work environment for ourselves and our staff and we grow vegetables for CSA because we believe it is an equitable and sustainable way to deliver the highest quality, most nutritious vegetables to our community. CSA is a community-building model of farming and food distribution that guarantees that community members have access to fresh, healthy food while sustaining farms and farm livelihoods. The CSA model supports open communication between us and our community of eaters and maintains transparency so that members know exactly how their food is being grown.
- Promote biological diversity
- Use resources thoughtfully and responsibly.
- Treat staff and customers with respect and work to provide equitable employment.
- Function, as much as possible, within our local economy
Certified Organic by Ecocert Canada