- 2lbs roasted tomatoes. Check recipe for slow roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, any colour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Pinch ground allspice
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons brandy or dry sherry (optional)
- Salt and cayenne pepper
Heat butter over medium heat in large saucepan until foaming. Add onion, tomato paste and allspice. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds. Gradually add vegetable or chicken stock, whisking constantly to combine; stir in reserved tomato juice. Add peeled, roasted tomatoes to the pot. Cover, increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 10 minutes.
Off the heat, use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth. Add cream — I often start with just 1/4 cup, adding the last 1/4 cup, if we wish, drizzled over serving bowls — warm over low heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in brandy and season with salt and cayenne. Serve immediately.