- 1 lb zucchini, any colour or variety
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 10 mint leaves
- 5 basil leaves
- 1 heaping tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 or 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Sea Salt and fresh pepper
- Additional mint or basil leaves, torn, to finish.
Slice the zucchini into rounds a scant 1/2 inch thick. Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the zucchini and saute, flipping and turning every few minutes, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. They won't necessarily cook evenly.
Meanwhile, chop together the garlic, mint, basil, and capers and toast the pine nuts
When the zucchini is golden, add the herb-garlic mixture and the vinegar to taste and toss well.
Taste for salt and season with pepper. Turn onto a plate.
If you are not going to eat the zucchini right away, cover and let stand at room temperature or in the refrigerator, then finish with the pine nuts and the mint and basil just before serving.