Easy Winter Minestrone Soup
- 1 medium red onion , diced
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 small parsnips , diced
- 1/2 celeriac , peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots , diced
- 2 small potatoes , diced
- 1/4 green cabbage , or 1/4 kohlrabi chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans (or any other bean and/or chickpea)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 large jar diced or whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp each dried basil , oregano, thyme
- salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion, garlic, parsnip, celeriac, carrot, potato, cabbage and herbs and sauté briefly.
Add enough water or stock to cover by several inches and the jar of tomatoes.
Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Simmer for 1 hour or more until vegetables are tender and soup is thickened. Add peas, corn and beans and cook for 10 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
If desired, cook 1 cup dry pasta and add.
Serve with grated parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon!