The Best Beet Borscht
- 4-5 medium beets , peeled and diced small
- 2 medium carrots , washed and diced small
- 2 medium onions , diced small
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine or balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 or 5 medium sized potatoes , peeled and cut in large chunks
- Sour cream
Heat butter and oil in a large pot. Add onion, carrots and beet and sauté for one minute.
Add water or vegetable stock until about an inch above the level of the veggies. Boil for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are very tender and the broth is a deep red colour.
About halfway through the boiling, add the vinegar and salt and pepper.
While the soup boils, boil or steam the potatoes until tender.
Serve the soup with a few chunks of potato in each bowl and a good dollop of sour cream!
This simple borscht served with boiled potatoes and sour cream in the traditional way my grandmother always made it - it's delicious!