Baghare Baingan (Eggplant Curry)
Servings 4 as a sidedish
- 1 large eggplant
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt , to taste
- 2 large onions , sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 garlic clove , crushed to a paste
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger , peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (see Note)
- 4 tablespoons coconut cream or 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Rice or hot chapati , to serve
Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 1 inch pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook the eggplant in batches for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown, adding more oil as necessary. Season with salt. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
Return the pan to the heat and add 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add onions and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until softened and brown. Add turmeric, garlic, ginger, chili powder, cumin and garam masala, and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes.
Add coconut cream or coconut milk with 2/3 cup water to make a sauce. Add lemon juice and return eggplant to the pan. Cook on low-medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until oil floats on top or can be seen on the sides of the pan. Add more salt, if necessary.
Serve accompanied by rice or hot chapatis.