- 1 cup white basmati or jasmine rice, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4-1/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 1/2 head savoy or napa cabbage, diced small
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 chili pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Cook rice so that it is still slightly al dente, definitely not mushy and set aside.
Heat sunflower oil in a wok or large frypan. When hot but not smoking add onion and fry until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrot and fry for a moment then add 1/4 cup of stock.
Fry, stirring occasionally until the carrot is crisp-tender, about 5 more minutes. Add cabbage and a dash more stock if pan is dry. Fry, stirring occasionally until cabbage is tender.
Move vegetables aside in the pan then add egg and 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Stir and fry until mostly cooked then stir into vegetables. Add rice, remaining sesame oil, soy sauce and about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir and fry until rice and veggies are combined and coated nicely with sesame oil and soy.
Taste and add more of either if necessary. Serve hot.