Spicy Squash Salad with Ginger-Lime Dressing
- 1 small acorn squash (1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced shallot
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1 to 2 red Thai chiles, thinly sliced (2 teaspoons), ribs and seeds removed if less heat is desired
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger (from a 2-inch piece)
- 1/3 cup packed thinly sliced fresh basil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup packed thinly sliced fresh mint, plus more for serving
- 8 cups mixed lettuces, such as Boston, Bibb, and lolla rossa or baby red leaf, for serving
Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in large pot with a steamer insert or colander. Add squash and season with salt. Cover and cook until just tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer, in a single layer, to a baking sheet and let cool about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine shallot and lime juice in a small bowl and let stand 10 minutes.
Whisk oil, chiles, and ginger into shallot mixture.
Toss squash with 1/2 cup dressing and herbs. Season with salt. Toss lettuces with 2 to 3 tablespoons dressing; season with salt. Arrange squashes and lettuces on plates.
Serve, topped with more herbs and drizzled with remaining dressing.