- 2 medium beets , coarsely grated
- 2 medium carrots , coarsely grated
- 1 medium onion , coarsely grated
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Neutral frying oil
- coarse salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream or yogurt , plus chopped chives, for serving
Heat about 1/2 inch of your favorite frying oil in a skillet (or two for efficiency) over medium-high heat.
Combine the grated vegetables in a bowl. Add the beaten eggs, stir to combine, then stir in the flour and salt and pepper to taste. Don't over work them.
The oil is ready when it sizzles at the addition of a small amount of the beet mixture. When it is ready, drop medium size clumps of the mixture into the oil and flatten with a spoon.
Fry for several minutes on each side until browned, flipping only once. You are looking for a nice crispy brown. Place the finished latkes on a plate covered with a paper towel to remove excess oil, and transfer to a low oven to keep warm until serving.
Serve warm with sour cream and homemade applesauce.