Collard Potato Salad with Mustard Dressing
Make this recipe vegetarian by omitting the bacon and adding some sautéed apple!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 2 pounds potatoes , scrubbed
- 1 pound collards , coarse stems discarded and the leaves washed well and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 slices of lean bacon , cooked until crisp, drained, and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
In a pot combine the potatoes with enough water to cover them by 2 inches, bring the water to a boil, and simmer the potatoes 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are tender.
Transfer the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a colander, reserving the cooking liquid, and in the reserved cooking liquid boil the collards, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Drain the collards in a sieve, refresh them under cold water, and squeeze them dry in a kitchen towel.
In a bowl whisk together the mustard, the vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it emulsified. Quarter the potatoes and add them to the dressing.
Add the collards, pulling them apart to separate the leaves, the bacon (or apple), and the red onion and toss the salad well.