Sautéed Cabbage and Sweet Onions with Almonds
- 1/2 medium cabbage , chopped fine/shredded like in a coleslaw
- 1 large onion , peeled and sliced thin into half moons
- 1 dry hot pepper or 2 fresh
- 1.5 cups sliced canned tomatoes
- a fistful of sliced almonds
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil or any cooking oil
- some red chili powder/cayenne pepper/
- paprika - if you want to spice it up
- a fistful of curry leaves/kari patta , shredded (or any other fresh herb that you would want to use)
Use a large flat bottomed pan or a skillet.
Heat oil in the pan and sauté the onions and chili peppers (if you are using them) for a couple of minutes till the onions are translucent.
Add the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are mushy. Add the shredded cabbage, chili powder and salt; stir to combine the onion, tomatoes and the cabbage and cook at medium to high heat while stirring around till the cabbage is wilted but still slightly crunchy, about 5 minutes.
Add the torn curry leaves or any other fresh herb that you would use and stir them in. Switch off the heat and add the almonds. Toss well.
Serve warm or at room temperature as a side dish.