Crushing and smashing green beans and cucumbers sounds crazy, but it creates nooks and crannies to soak up as much umami-rich miso sauce as possible. And this is a dressing you'll want a lot of.
- 3 Persian cucumbers or ½ English hothouse cucumber
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 1½-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 serrano or Fresno chile, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ⅓ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup white miso
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions (for serving)
Lightly smash cucumbers with a rolling pin, then tear into bite-size pieces. Toss with a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Let sit to allow salt to penetrate.
Meanwhile, place green beans in a large resealable plastic bag, seal, and smash with rolling pin until most of the beans are split open and bruised. Whisk ginger, chile, garlic, vinegar, miso, olive oil, and sesame oil in a medium bowl until smooth. Add dressing to beans and toss around in bag to coat; season with salt.
Drain cucumbers and add to bag with beans. Shake gently to combine. Transfer salad to a platter and top with sesame seeds and scallions.