Chickpeas with Leeks and Lemon
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove , crushed slightly but whole
- 1 6- inch branch fresh rosemary , broken in two
- 3 leeks , cleaned, trimmed and with the white and light green parts sliced in 1/4-inch rounds
- kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 lemon
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, garlic and rosemary over medium heat. Once the garlic turns fragrant and the rosemary begins to sizzle, remove the rosemary but reserve for later.
Add the leeks to the pan, along with a good pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the leeks are soft and sweet but still brightly green, around 5 minutes.
Tip in the chickpeas, and continue to cook for a 5 minutes more, at which point the chickpeas should have darkened slightly in colour.
Using a microplane or zester, add a few scrapes of lemon zest to the pan, along with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Stir gently to combine.
Check for seasoning, adding more juice, zest or salt as needed.
Return the reserved rosemary sprigs to the pan, and enjoy warm or at room temperature