Collard Greens with Red Onions and Bacon
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon , cut crosswise into fourths
- 1 large red onion , chopped coarse
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes , or to taste
- 2 pounds collard greens , coarse stems and ribs discarded and leaves and thin stems washed well, drained, and chopped coarse
In a deep heavy kettle cook bacon in 2 batches over moderate heat until crisp and transfer to paper towels to drain.
Pour off all but about 3 tablespoons drippings and in drippings remaining in kettle cook onions, stirring occasionally, until browned slightly and softened. Transfer onions with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
To kettle add broth, vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and about half of bacon, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Add about half of collards, tossing until wilted slightly, and add remaining collards, tossing until combined.
Simmer collards, covered, 30 minutes.
Stir in onions and simmer, covered, 30 minutes more, or until collards are very tender.
Serve collards topped with remaining bacon.