Zucchini and Ricotta Fritters with Lemon
Servings 4 -6
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 medium garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 medium zucchini , scrubbed and ends trimmed
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups plain bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for for pan-frying lemon wedges
Combine the ricotta, eggs, parsley, garlic, and lemon zest in a large bowl.
Grate zucchini - wrap with a few paper towels or a kitchen towel and squeeze tightly to remove as much moisture as possible.
Add the zucchini to the ricotta mixture, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine, and add enough bread crumbs so that the mixture is no longer sticky - about 1 cup or so.
Spread the remaining bread crumbs on a plate.
Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Take about 1/3 cup of the zucchini mixture and form into a 3-inch patty.
Dredge both sides with the bread crumbs. Place the patty on a baking sheet or platter and repeat with the remaining zucchini mixture.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
When your oil is hot, add as many fritters as will fit comfortably in the pan.
Cook about 4 minutes per side, until the bottoms are a rich golden brown, turning once.
Keep warm in the oven while you fry the remaining ones.
Serve with lemon wedges.