Parsnip and Apple Soup
- 1 large potato
- 2 parsnips (about 1/2 pound), peeled and chopped fine
- 3 shallots , chopped fine (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 leek (white and pale green part only), trimmed, halved lengthwise, washed well, and chopped fine or 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Peel potato and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
In a heavy kettle cook potato, parsnips, shallots, leek and parsley in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until leek is softened, about 12 minutes.
Add broth and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
In a blender purée mixture in batches and transfer to a large saucepan.
Stir in cider or juice, cream, and salt and pepper to taste and
Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Keep soup warm.
Make fried parsnip:
In a heavy saucepan heat 1 inch oil to 360Â°F. on a deep-fat thermometer and fry parsnip strips in batches until golden brown, transferring with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Season fried parsnip with salt.
Serve soup topped with fried parsnip.