Pasta with Caramelized Leeks
Serves two, but easily doubles
- About a half pound dried pasta (this would also be really good over cheese ravioli)
- 2 medium leeks (or one super huge one!)
- 2 Tbs . butter or olive oil
- about 1/3 cup of white wine , or reserved pasta water if you have no wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish , if desired
- ½ cup parmesan or goat cheese , toasted pine nuts or almonds, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed Italian sausage or pieces of chicken.
Remove the dark green tops, and the root from the bottom and then wash the leeks.
Heat the butter or oil in a large frying pan over medium, add the leeks and stir to coat.
Sprinkle with a little dash of salt. Turn the heat to low and cook for 20-30 minutes until they're all brown and caramelized.
In the meantime bring a pot of water to boil for the pasta and prep whatever else you decide to add (I personally really recommend some sautéed mushrooms and a sprinkling of parmesan).
Cook the pasta until al dente and drain (reserve some pasta water if you're going to use it).
Add the leeks and protein accompaniment to the pasta. Then, pour your wine or pasta water into the pan that you cooked the leeks in, turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook for a couple of minutes, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan into the liquid.
Pour this over the pasta and leeks and toss everything together.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve