Romano Risotto with Radishes
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- For risotto:
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups hot water
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter , divided
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 pound Arborio rice (2 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmiggian cheese , grated
- For radishes:
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound trimmed radishes , julienned
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- Accompaniment: extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
Make risotto: Bring broth and water to a simmer in a 3-to 4-quart saucepan.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons butter in a 4-to 5-quart heavy pot over medium heat until foam subsides,
Then cook onion, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minute
Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add wine and cook, stirring, until absorbed, about 1 minute.
Stir 1 cup simmering broth into rice and cook, stirring constantly and keeping at a strong simmer, until absorbed. Continue cooking and adding broth, about 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding next, until rice is just tender and creamy-looking but still al dente, 18 to 22 minutes.
Thin with some of remaining broth if necessary (you will have some left over). Remove from heat.
Stir in cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 3 tbs butter.
Whisk together vinegar, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Toss radishes with dressing and chives.
Serve risotto topped with radishes.