Angel Hair Pasta with Fennel and Spicy Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds , crushed
- Generous pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 large tomatoes , coarsely chopped, or one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat, and add the onion, fennel, garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, and crushed red pepper.
Cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in the white wine and the tomatoes, reduce the heat, and simmer until the tomatoes are very soft and the liquid is reduced by about half. If the sauce begins to look dry, add a little of the pasta cooking water. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Cook the pasta. Serve the pasta covered in sauce and a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.