Savoy Slaw Adapted
- 1/2 of a large head of Savoy or Napa cabbage , stems trimmed, leaves halved lengthwise then sliced thinly, crosswise
- 3 leaves kale , stems removed and sliced very thinly
- 1/2 onion , minced
- 2 medium carrots , grated
- 1 bulb fennel , finely diced
- 1 small tart apple , finely diced
- zest & juice from 2 small limes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper , or to taste
- olive oil
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1 ½ cups raw peanuts , toasted
Combine all vegetables and apple in a large bowl. Toss to mix. Add lime zest & juice, salt, pepper & cayenne. Toss well.
Drizzle olive oil, toss and taste & adjust until dressing is balanced. If slaw needs a touch of sweetness, drizzle in a tiny amount of honey, toss and taste.
Toss one last time and allow to rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes prior to serving, so cabbage will "relax" and wilt slightly.
Serve at room temperature, garnished with a healthy scoop of peanuts. Keep peanuts in a separate bowl for maximum crunch.