Baked ProvenÃ§al Tomatoes
- 5 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 cup bread crumbs (homemade or panko)
- 6 fresh basil leaves , chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup freshly grated GruyÃ¨re or Parmesan cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut an inch off the top and a little bit of the bottom of the tomatoes, so they stand upright.
With a small spoon or melon baller, gently scoop out the inside of the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes in a shallow baking dish, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, basil, parsley, garlic, thyme, and 1/2 tsp salt.
Fill the tomatoes to the top with the bread crumb mixture.
Drizzle a little olive oil over each.
Bake the tomatoes for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
Remove from oven and top with grated cheese.