Chickpea Salad with Capers and Roasted Red Peppers
This is a great make-ahead dish for weekday lunches. It would also be wonderful on a pile of torn lettuce, served with toasted pita wedges.
- 2 large red peppers , roasted and skinned
- 3 cups of cooked chickpeas , rinsed if canned (about 2 15-ounce cans)
- 1/4 cup of parsley , chopped
- 3 tablespoons of capers , rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
To roast peppers, broil under high heat over roast over an open flame until peppers are blacked.
Place in a bowl with a lid and let wilt. When cool, rub skin of peppers off with your hands and remove seeds.
Cut the peppers into half-inch wide strips and put them in a large bowl together with the chickpeas, parsley and the capers. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, salt, garlic and oil. Pour over the chickpea mixture and combine.
Serve immediately, or refrigerate it for a day to get