Fettuccine with Leeks and White Beans
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound leeks (about 1 bunch), sliced and cleaned
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese , plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley , (optional)
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-low heat.
Add leeks, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add beans, broth, and sage to pan; with a potato masher,
Mash about one third of beans.
Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer.
Cook until sauce has thickened but is still soupy, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 2 minutes less than package instructions suggest.
Drain; rinse under cold water until cool.Transfer to a bowl, and toss with remaining tablespoon oil to coat.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring sauce and lemon juice to a simmer. Stir in cream and Parmesan.
Add pasta; cook, stirring, until heated through, 2 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with parsley and more cheese, if desired.