Fettuccine with Lemon, Hot Peppers, and Pecorino Romano
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion , halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 jalapenos or other hot peppers , halved, seeded, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh fettuccine or the equivalent dried
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a large pot; season with salt.
Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until almost smoking.
Add onion and red pepper flakes;
Saute until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add jalapenos; saute for 1 minute.
Add zest and juice; bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute.
Remove from heat; stir in butter, and season with salt and pepper.
Drop pasta into boiling water and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain.
Toss hot pasta into pan with lemon mixture; return to medium heat.
Stir together gently.
Add pecorino; toss quickly. Transfer to a warmed serving platter.