Kale, Squash, & White Bean Stew
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion , cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves , coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 small acorn squash , peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small butternut squash , peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bunch kale ( 3/4 pound), ribs cut away and discarded, leaves torn
- 5 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Grated Parmesan , for serving (optional)
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium.
Cook onion and garlic until fragrant, 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Add squash and kale and cook until kale is wilted, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Add broth, beans, and thyme.
Bring to a simmer and cook until squash and kale are tender, about 12 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper and serve with Parmesan, if desired.
Try making this recipe with any type of squash that you get in your CSA share except maybe spaghetti!