Pumpkin Soup with Gruyere Croutons
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 large leek , finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves , chopped
- 3 14 1/2- ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
- 8 cups peeled , seeded pumpkin cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 24 1/4- inch -thick baguette bread slices
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add leek and garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth, all squash and herbs; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return soup to same pot. Stir in cream and bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat broiler. Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Arrange bread, buttered side up, on baking sheet. Broil until golden, about 1 minute.
Turn over. Sprinkle cheese, then thyme and sage over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top each with croutons and serve