Sautéed String Beans
- .75-1 lbs green beans
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canola oil (or any neutral oil)
- 2 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 2 teaspoons black bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper , freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
Wash and pat dry the beans.
Divide into 4 batches.
Heat the canola oil in a deep pan. Once the oil is hot, fry the beans, one batch at a time. Don't over-crowd the pan.
Cook until they are golden brown.
Transfer to a paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
Reserve the oil for other use, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. The beans should still be crisp at this point, not mushy.
Trim the ends of the beans after frying them if you like.
In the same pan, re-heat the oil. Once it's hot, add the garlic.
Cook until fragrant.
Add the green beans, black bean and chili garlic sauce, sugar and soy sauce. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with black pepper.
Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil if you like.