Spinach and Apple Salad
For the salad dressing:
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Pinch paprika
- 3 tablespoons sugar , divided
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper , to taste
For the buttered almonds:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
For the salad
- 1/2 lb spinach , washed
- 2 medium apples (variety of your choice), cored, quartered
- thinly sliced Feta or goat cheese , optional
For the salad dressing
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the onion, vinegars, sesame seeds, and paprika. Mix well.
Add the 2 tablespoons of the sugar to the mixture and mix until combined.
Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the mixture.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
For the buttered almonds
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the almonds and cook, stirring constantly, until the almonds are lightly browned and fragrant, about a minute or so.
Add the remaining tablespoon of sugar to the almonds and gently toss to coat.
Continue to cook until the sugar melts, about 1-2 minutes more.
Remove the almonds from the heat and set aside to cool.
Assemble the salad as desired, and drizzle with salad dressing.