Tamatar Raita (Tomatoes in Smooth Yogurt)
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white or black pepper
- 3-4 medium sized ripe tomatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 hot green chili , seeded and finely minced (if desired)
- 1-2 sprigs fresh cilantro or basil , for garnish
Combine the yogurt, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk with a fork until smooth and creamy.
Wash and dry the tomatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Drop into the yogurt mixture without stirring.
Heat the oil in a small pan over moderate heat. When it is hot but not smoking, add the mustard seeds and chili and fry until the seeds crackle and turn gray.
Pour onto the salad and gently blend. Serve immediately, garnishing with fresh herbs.