Zucchini and Almond Pasta Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (2 to 3, depending on size), halved lenthwise and very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 ounces parmesan or pecorino romano cheese , thinly sliced on a mandoline or with a peeler
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds , well-toasted and cooled (300 degree oven for 7 to 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, usually works)
- 1/2 pound pasta of your choice (I like the extra bite of whole wheat pasta in pasta salads), cooked, drained and cooled
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
Further additions, if you wish: 1/2 cup crumbled feta or blue cheese (replacing parmesan), 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced (you can let this marinate in the dressing for a few minutes, to reduce its bite), 1/4 pound fresh arugula or 1/4 cup thinly slivered basil or 1 cup white beans, rinsed and drained
Toss zucchini slices with one teaspoon salt in a large colander set over a bowl or in sink. Let drain 20 minutes. If they taste too salty to you, rinse and drain them again.
Stir zucchini, parmesan, almonds and pasta together. Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice, seasoning generously with black pepper and salt to taste. Toss with salad and adjust seasonings to taste.
Pack up salad and take it with you to the beach.