Dirty Rice and Beans
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
Servings 6 -8
- 2 cups (480 ml) dry brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups (360 ml) chopped red or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup (240 ml) finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) finely diced celeriac
- 1 small cayenne pepper , minced (remove seeds
- for less heat)
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) fine sea salt
- 3-3/4 cups (900 ml) vegetable stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups (360 ml) cooked kidney or black beans
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) frozen corn kernels
- 3-4 Tbsp (45-60 ml.) fresh chopped parsley
- 3-4 Tbsp (45-60 ml) fresh chopped cilantro
Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Spray a large casserole dish (one with a cover) and set aside.
In a fairly large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the rice, onion, garlic, carrots, celeriac, cayenne, cumin, coriander and chili powder over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
Add the salt, stock, bay leaf and tomatoes, and stir to combine. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the beans, corn, parsley and cilantro.
Turn the mixture into the casserole dish, cover and bake for another 30-40 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked. If necessary, add a bit more stock and continue cooking until the rice is sufficiently soft.
Garnish with more chopped herbs, if desired.