Moroccan-Style Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb each boneless skinless chicken breast and boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces squash or sweet potato
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled parsnips
- 1 large carrot cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces peeled rutabaga
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1 14- oz can diced tomatoes , drained
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- Chopped fresh cilantro
In a small pot, bring chicken broth to a boil, continue to boil until reduced by half, then set aside.
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pot and sauté until light golden but not cooked through, about 1 minute. Transfer chicken to bowl.
Add onion to pot and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add curry powder, cumin and cinnamon stick and stir 30 seconds. Add squash, parsnips, carrot, rutabaga, broth and currants.
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add tomatoes, lemon zest with juice, and chicken to pot.
Simmer until chicken is cooked through and flavors blend, about 5 minutes longer.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve over couscous cooked with garbanzo beans.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.