Sweet Potato Soup Groundnut Soup with Black Beans
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 4 -5
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 medium red or yellow onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large sweet potato , peeled and diced
- 2 carrots , diced
- 1/2 lb dried black beans , soaked overnight and cooked until tender
- 1 quart veggie broth
- 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lime
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add curry paste and cinnamon. Stir for 1 minute or so so that the olive oil gets infused with the spice. Add the onion, garlic, sweet potato and carrot. Stir and cook the veggies for 5-7 minutes until softened.
Add the beans and broth. Melt the peanut butter by mixing it with 1/2 cup boiling water. Add that to the mix. Add the red pepper flakes.
Bring the soup to a boil, then cover and simmer. Cook until veggies are tender, about 25 minutes.