Celery Root Remoulade
Celeriac, or celery root is a lovely root vegetable with a mild celery flavour. It is a wonderful addition to soups or stews and can be made into a fresh tasting grated salad such as this classic French dish.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3/4 pound celery root
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish or finely minced sweet pickle
- 1 teaspoon capers , rinsed and drained, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Garnish: minced fresh parsley or julienned green apple
Trim, peel and halve lengthwise the celery root.
Cut each half lengthwise into 2 or more pieces, whatever will fit into the feed tube of your food processor.
With shredding disk in place, coarsely shred the celery root. or hand shred with a box grater.
In 1-quart bowl, toss the shredded celery root with salt and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
Cover and set aside to soften for 30 to 60 minutes.