Pasta with Savoy Cabbage and Breadcrumbs
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove , very thinly sliced or minced
- 1/2 cup fresh (not dried) breadcrumbs (from a rustic loaf)
- 9 cups thinly sliced savoy cabbage (from 1 medium head)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce), plus more for
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 11 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in breadcrumbs. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until breadcrumbs are golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat.
Add cabbage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat.
Cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup water.
Cook, covered, until tender, about 4 minutes. Uncover, and let any water in the skillet evaporate.
Stir in cream. Cook until sauce is reduced and thick enough to coat cabbage, about 1 minute.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add pasta and reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid to cabbage.
Cook for 1 minute.
Stir in cheese.
Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top, and garnish with more cheese.